The King James Bible (KJV)
The title page to the 1611 first edition of the Authorized Version Bible by Cornelis Boel shows the Apostles Peter and Paul seated centrally above the central text, which is flanked by Moses and Aaron. In the four corners sit Matthew, Mark, Luke and John, authors of the four gospels, with their symbolic animals. The rest of the Apostles (with Judas facing away) stand around Peter and Paul. At the very top is the Tetragrammaton "יהוה".
Why We Carry a King James Bible: 2 Tim. 3:16-17
* 2 Peter 1:20-21, Bible reveals God’s person—power—promises—plan!!!
* The Bible was written by over 40 different authors (Among them were kings, military leaders, peasants, philosophers, fishermen, tax collectors, poets, statesmen, musicians, scholars and shepherds.) Revelations 22:18-19
1. The King James Version of the Holy Bible is the word of God in the English language.
2. Based on the FACTS we should not accept any other version as The Bible, or as The Word of God.
3. Verse 16 of our text: It says that all scripture is "inspired of God." This literally means that the Bible is a God-breathed Book.
4. The Bible is inerrant. That means it has no mistakes. The Bible is infallible. This means "not liable to fall, or make a mistake, never wrong.
5. NIV, RSV, NASV, NRSV, TLB, GNM, CEV, NKJV, etc. are not the inerrant, infallible, inspired Word of the living God.
6. Other than the Greek and the Hebrew texts - The KJV is the oldest version.
I.) Because It Is A Pure Book
* Prov 30:5, "Every word of God is pure: he is a shield unto them that put their trust in him."
A. After all these hundreds and thousands of years? Do we still have a reliable, accurate, pure
word from God?
B. There are only parts and pieces of the original manuscripts. How, then, can we be sure that the Book we use is pure?
C. The answer lies in how the King James Bible came to be. King James Bible is more accurate than anything else in print.
1. The King James Bible is a translation of a Greek text known as the "Textus Receptus", or the "Received Text." This text, which the King James Bible comes from, is in agreement with 95% of all known Scripture related manuscripts which number over 5,000.
2. Every new version, without exception, comes from a text (the other 5%) known as the "Nestle's 26 Greek Text." The King James Bible has the agreement of over 5,000 manuscripts, the modern versions are all based on a text that has the agreement of of 2 manuscripts.
3. These 2 manuscripts are the "Vaticanus", which was found in the Vatican library (Catholic papal headquarters) in 1481. and the "Sinaiticus which was found in the wastebasket in a monastery at the foot of Mount Sinai in 1844
4. What does all this mean? Simply this, the King James Bible is derived from a more accurate Greek text, not from 2 suspect texts of suspect origin. Therefore, the King James Bible is a pure Book!
D. The King James Bible was translated by 54 scholars.
1. It is said that these men were so fluent in the languages of the Bible, that they often conversed among themselves in Hebrew and Greek rather than English.
2. These men worked in 6 independent teams, which were responsible for certain portions of the Scriptures.
3. When each team finished its work, it submitted that work to the other teams, which reviewed the work.
4. By the time they were finished, every verse in the King James Bible had been reviewed at least 14 times. Every verse was considered by the individual and by the whole group.
5. All modern versions are translated from the "Nestle's 26" Greek text. This text was compiled by 2 men; Brooke Foss Westcott and Fenton John Anthony Hort. Both of these men were heavily into occult practices, such as channeling spirits and contacting the dead.
II.) Because It Is A Preserved Book
* Psalms 12:6-7, "The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times. Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever."
* Matt 24:35, "Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away."
* Isa 40:8, "The grass withereth, the flower fadeth: but the word of our God shall stand for ever."
* 1 Pet 1:25, "But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you."
* Psalms 119:89, "For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven."
A. God has promised to preserve His Word. God has determined to take
His Word to all generations. He has and He will preserve His Word!
B. Preservation is not present in any modern version! Try to find Acts 8:37 or 1 John 5:7 in most modern versions. They are either missing, or they have a note telling the reader that they really shouldn't have been printed.
C. These are 2 pretty important verses and they belong exactly where the Lord put them! These are just 2 of many that have been changed drastically, or have been left out.
D. Preservation of original scripts “Textus Receptus” “received text”
1. Written on tanned animal skins.
2. Copies made for preserving; very strict guidelines! Handling God breathed material!!
3. Even letter shape had to be exact. Mt 5:18 - jot = smallest letter in Hebrew alphabet. Tittle = piece of a letter.
4. When the name “Jehovah” was written, pen had to be cleaned first!! (Ink recipe)
5. 1 mistake on a page, destroyed. 3 in a book, whole book destroyed!
III.) Because It Is A Powerful Book
* Hebrews 4:12, "For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart."
A. It has built nations, governments, brought revivals, changed lives, delivered people out of the bondage of spiritual darkness. It is a powerful Book!
B. You show us a Baptist Church that has a congregation that carries King James Bibles, the preacher preaches from one and the teachers teach from one and we will show you a church that has a very powerful ministry. And when they meet for worship, the Holy Ghost shows up and they worship the Lord in spirit and truth!
C. As a rule, there is less confusion and ……..more power and unity in the congregation.
D. We know the King James Bible has power because we have felt it and seen it at work in our lives and in the lives of others. It is a powerful Book!!
IV.) Because It Is A Plain Book
* 1 Cor 2:13-14, "Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned."
A. “hard to understand” Hog wash! Look at this scripture.
These verses tell us the secret of understanding the King James Bible.
One must be saved and have a teachable spirit.
B. It is a documented fact that the NIV is written on an 8th grade level. The NASV on about a 10th grade level. The King James Bible, on the other hand, is written on a 5th grade level.
C. The King James Bible is the most clear of all the Bible versions.
1. The "thee's", "thou's"; "thines" and "ye's" that receive so much criticism actually make the Bible plainer. "Thee" and "Thou" are second person singular and corresponds to our modern "you."
2. "Ye" is second person plural and speak to more than one.
3. "Thine" and "thy" are second person possessive.
4. Note also the "eth" ending. This is used to show continuous action and is not related in the modern versions.
5. The modern translations all use "you" and "your" and the distinction between singular and plural is lost.
V.) Because It Is A Perfect Book
* Psalm 119:105, "Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path."
A. In the final analysis we should be able to see that there are some serious problems surrounding every new, modern version of the Bible.
B. So many problems that, for us, there is no way we could use them, promote them or endorse them. We believe that God has given us His perfect Word in the Pages of the King James Bible.
1. The Virgin Birth - Isa. 7:14 (NRSV Isaiah 7:14 , "Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Look, the young woman is with child and shall bear a son, and shall name him Immanuel.") KJV - Isa. 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself shall give you a sign; Behold, a virgin shall conceive, and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. There is a great difference in a “young woman” and “ a virgin”!
2. The Deity of Christ - John 6:69 (NIV John 6:69 , "We believe and know that you are the Holy One of God.") KJV - John 6:69 And we believe and are sure that thou art that Christ, the Son of the living God.
3. Salvation - Acts 16:31 (The Message Acts 16:31, "They said, "Put your entire trust in the Master Jesus. Then you'll live as you were meant to live--and everyone in your house included!") KJV - Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.
4. The Blood - Col. 1:14 (NIV Col. 1:14. " in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins.") KJV - Col 1:14 In whom we have redemption through his blood, even the forgiveness of sins:
For I testify unto every man that heareth the words of the prophecy of this book, If any man shall add unto these things, God shall add unto him the plagues that are written in this book: And if any man shall take away from the words of the book of this prophecy, God shall take away his part out of the book of life, and out of the holy city, and from the things which are written in this book. Revelation 22:18-19